Sunday, December 07, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Was walking down the beach today (see pictures below) and was wondering how do you come up with this combination of words. Mysterious and yet so to the point - I probably can’t.


So first week in Sweden has passed. And how do I feel? Quite strange, to be honest - both work and life wise. However I feel I need more time to be objective with you. So I will not go into the feelings and emotions yet, but instead try to describe what I have been doing here over the past week.


Well, not much. Firstly I think it was the first time over quite many years that I went to bed before 11 on Friday. Felt strange even to myself. However on Saturday I made it up a bit and went to David’s Christmas party. Was, again, strange seeing all the Swedes talk in Swedish and actually not understanding a single bit sometimes. A little bit of white wine and some fussy conversations about the Swedish banking industry were the best bits. Otherwise nothing special or bright.

Saw two quite good films this week: Zeitgeist and Magnolia. The first one started off quite brightly but ended up doing the same thing as it was accusing the “mass media” doing i.e. amplifying the signal. The interesting bit to me was the last one due to a book I’m reading: The History of Wall Street. Bought it from NYC in the beginning of November and have been obsessed ever since. But yeah, basically history of Wall Street has been about cornering markets and as it seems to me today things only happen on a greater scale with probably the main cause hidden. Magnolia. Hmm, that one was a really good. A bit depressing at times, but still really good. Even the frogs in the end were good, not overblown as some say. My real discovery was Mr. Cruise, who I think played a really good role. There’s something about that man, or how good he is. And the setting was also very acute do to the fact that Mr. Robbins has been very active lately sending his newsletters to me “due to the difficult times”. Anyways, I recommend both of the movies.


What else? Sweden is a bit clinical as one of my friend once said. But more humane than Estonia and dangerously bourgeois. Yesterday for example I wanted to get a coffee in the old town, but couldn’t. It was all really packed – the Swedish families were doing their safe Christmas shopping and having a coffee or dinner outside afterwards. No signs of economic recession. But then again I wasn’t here last Christmas, so I do not have the comparative benchmark.

Next week hopefully brings me my flat and more work, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home